NIFT or the National Institute of Fashion Technology was set up in the year 1986 under the aegis of Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. Over the years it has emerged as center of excellence & innovation. At NIFT, multidisciplinary fashion design courses are available to prepare students and help them solve real challenges in their core areas and help them drive towards rapidly growing new directions. Keeping at par with the global scenario, the institute has introduced many fashion related courses that include 4-year courses for Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) -
- Accessory Design Fashion Communication Fashion Design Knitwear Design Leather Design
- Textile Design
- Eligibility: 10 2 from a recognized Board of Education
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech) - 4 years
- Apparel Production
- Master program for 2 years
- Master of Design (M. Des) - Design Space
NIFT Eligibility Criteria 2018
To get admission into the bachelor courses, students must have completed their 10 2 from a reputed institute affiliated to boards like CBSE, ISC, etc. For B.F.Tech courses, 10+2 (with Physics, Chemistry & Maths) from a recognized Board of Education is mandatory. General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/Cambridge/Sri-Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level/ International Baccalaureate (IB) candidates are also eligible.
Masers degree applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree from any Institute/ University recognized by law in India or Diploma of minimum 3 years duration in UG Design from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) or National Institute of Design (NID). Maximum age limit of 23 years as on 1st October 2015 applies for all candidates in the bachelor degree courses. The upper age limit may be relaxed by a period of 5 (five) years for the candidates of Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribe/ Differently-abled Person (PHP) subject to following qualificationsNote -
NIFT program doesn’t provide any basic knowledge and skill development in design as a part of Master program. Also, the medium of instruction at NIFT is English and all aspirants applying to NIFT must possess working knowledge of English language.International Students
There is a separate set of guidelines and instructions available for the international students at the official website.
NIFT 2018 Important Dates
- Sale of application forms: 20th October, 2017
- Submissions of Online application form: 29th December, 2017
- Submissions of Online application form with late fee of Rs.5000 (in addition to the applicable application fee): 2nd January, 2018
* The payment can be done through Credit/Debit Card only.
* In case of Demand Draft, the print out of application along with Demand Draft should reach the given address before the given dates
- Issue of Admit Cards (Online only): 9th January, 2018 (1 pm onwards)
- NIFT written entrance exam for UG and PG courses: 21st January, 2018
- Situation Test/ Group Discussion/ Interview: April - May 2018
- Declaration of Results: End of May/ June 2018
- Counselling process: May/June 2018 onwards
- SC - 15%
- ST - 7.5%
- OBC (Non-Creamy) - 27%
- PHP (with 40% or more disability) - 3%
- Foreign nationals/SAARC/NRI - 15%
- State Domicile - 20%
Application Process NIFT 2018
Candidates can apply online
where the prospectus is available for free of cost. The candidate has to download the form from here and the keep a hard copy of the same. There is an option to fill up the application form both online and offline. Make sure all details are filled up correctly before submission and when doing an online submission, retain a hard copy of the same.
Application Fees NIFT 2018
You can pay the online payment fee via gateway or through Bank Demand Draft issued in favor of “NIFT HO” payable at New Delhi.
Fee for SC/ ST/ PHP Category: Rs.750/- through payment gateway or Demand Draft. General/OBC (Non-Creamy) Category: Rs.1500/- via credit or debit cards or demand drafts. Bank Demand Draft should be made in in favor of “NIFT HO”, payable at New Delhi. The details of the Demand Draft are to be filled in the online application form.
The state in which the candidate has completed his/her class 12th examination/ graduation/qualifying degree is the domicile of the student. Candidates who are domicile of the states where the NIFT Campuses exist will be allowed to opt for this preference while filling online application form.
NIFT 2018 Test Centers
- Kannur (Kerala) 18 Kolkata
- 32 Srinagar (J&K)
NIFT Exam Pattern
The written entrance examination is designed to test the knowledge, skill and aptitude of the candidates. There is no negative marking. NIFT has two patterns of test. One if the CAT or the creative ability test and the other are GAT or general ability test.GAT applies to candidates for the B.Des and M.Des courses and includes -
CAT or the Creative Ability Test
- Quantitative Ability - The sub-test may include questions on Addition, Multiplication, Division, Fractions, Percentage, Rate of Interest, Work and Task, Ratio and Proportion, etc.
- Communication Ability -It includes questions on synonyms, antonyms, words with corresponding meanings, singular, plural, one word substitutes, idioms and phrases, correct spellings etc.
- English Comprehension - It analyzes the candidates potential to comprehend a situation from a given passage, and test of basic English language.
- Analytical Ability - It tests the candidate’s capacity for ability of inference and logic from the given information.
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs - Based on current affair knowledge.
Focused on testing the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development and design ability of the candidate, this one is more creative and based on innovative use of color and illustration skills. It applies to candidates of For Bachelor of Technology (B.F.Tech.), Master of Fashion Management (M.F.M), Master of Design (M.Des.) and Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech.).
- Quantitative Ability
- Communication Ability and English Comprehension
- Analytical and Logical Ability
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Case Study -This sub-test is based on a situation of an industry environment. It is based on managerial abilities of the candidates.
Note - Other categories remain common for both sets except Case Study.Situation Test
After candidates clear the above categories, as per their application - they have to appear for the situation test where B.Des applicants are tested for material handling and innovative ability on a given situation with a given set of materials. This test is based on space visualization, innovative and creative use of given material, composition of elements, color scheme, construction skill, finesse, etc.
NIFT Master Program
For the Masters program, there is a group discussion post the situation test too. This includes-
- Conceptual clarity
- Knowledge of the topic assigned 3) Contribution made to the topic 4) Interpersonal skills
- Ability to generate new ideas
- Problem solving approach
- Leadership qualities
- Effective communication
NIFT Campuses across India
No. 21st, 16th Cross Street
27th Main Road, Sector I
HSR (Hosur Sarjapura Road) Layout, Bengaluru – 560 102 (Karnataka)
T: (080) 22552550/51/52
F: (080) 22552566
M P Bhoj (Open) University Campus, Kolar Road,
T: (0755) 2493636/736
IDCO Plot No-24
Opp. KIIT School of Mgmt. Chandaka Industrial Estate, Bhubaneswar – 751024, Odisha T: (0674) 2305700, 2305701
Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Taramani, Chennai – 600 113, Tamil Nadu T: (044) 22542759
F: (044) 22542769
Gh-O Road, Behind Info City, Near DAIICT Gandhinagar-382007, Gujarat T: (079) 23265000, 23240832, 23240834
F: (079) 23240772
Opposite Hi-tech City,
Madhapur, Hyderabad-500 081 Telangana
T: (040) 23110841/42/43, 23110630. F (040) 23114536
NIFT Campus, Karwar
Jodhpur - 342 037 Rajasthan, India
Chheb, Kangra-176001 (HP) T: (01892) 263872
F: (01892) 260872
Dharmasala, Mangattuparamba, Kannur - 670 562 (Kerala)
T: (0497) 2784780-83
F: (0497) 2784785
Plot No. 3B, Block - LA, SEC-III, SALT LAKE CITY, Kolkata-700098 (WB)
T: (033) 23357332
F: (033) 23355734
Plot no 15, Sector 4,Kharghar,
Navi Mumbai - 410210 (Maharashtra)
T: (022) 27745549, 27747000, 27747100 F: (022) 27745386
Near Gulmohar Park
T: (011) 26867704, 26542148/49/59 F: (011) 26542151
Patna -800001 (Bihar)
T: (0612) 2340032, 2366833/4 F: (0612) 2366835
NIFT Campus, Doorbhash Nagar,
Sector - II,
Raebareli - 229 010 (UP) T: (0535) 2702422/31
F: (0535) 2702423/24/29
Old NEIGRIHMS Campus
‘C’ Block, Pasteur Hills, Lawmali, Polo
Shillong - 793 001, Meghalaya T: (0364) 2590240 /2591492 F: (0364) 2590676