The National Aptitude Test in Architecture - NATA 2018
The National Aptitude Test in Architecture commonly known as NATA evaluates those aspiring architects to pursur undergraduate studies in architecture. All students who wish to take admission in BArch. at a reputed college or institution (government aided or private) of architecture in India must sit for NATA.
The Council of Architecture, which is an autonomous statutory body conducts the NATA. Hence, the Council of Architecture has got the sole rights to set all the norms for the architectural institutions.
NATA 2018 Eligibility Criteria
All candidates who wish to apply for NATA 2018 for pursuing a BArch course must be 12th pass or any equivalent examination with mathematics as one of the core subject. They should also secure atleast 50% marks in their higher secondary or class 12 board exams from a recognised university or board to appear for NATA 2018. However, only NATA score will be applicable for admission to the 5 year course.
N.B. The NATA scores are only valid for two years starting from the year they have appeared.
NATA 2018 Examination Fees
The application fees for NATA 2018 is
- Rs. 1250 for Indian Center
- Rs. 7000 for Dubai Center
- The payment can be done through online or offline mode using a debit card/credit card/net banking & e-Challan.
NATA 2018 Examination PatternNATA has been structured in two parts:
- Drawing test-paper based
- Aesthetic sensitivity test-computer based
The NATA-2018 shall be conducted bythe Council of Architecture (CoA) as one-day examination. The entrance test will be a paper based OFFLINE exam held across different parts of India.
NATA has been structured in two parts:
i) The first part of NATA 2018is Mathematics & General Aptitude test which comprises of multiple choice questions. The duration for which is 1 hour 30 minutes (90 minutes).
ii) The second part is the Drawing test which will be conducted in the later half of the exam for a time duration of 1 hour 30 minutes (90 minutes).
For each correct answers in the Mathematics & General Aptitude Test, 2 marks will be awarded, while in the Drawing Test, 40 marks will be awarded for each correct response.
However, in both the parts of the NATA 2018 question papers, there will be no negative marking for any incorrect response.
Important Dates for NATA 2018
Find below the tentative schedule of NATA 2018:
- Online Registration Starts: 1st week of January 2018
- Last Date of Online Registration: 1st week of February 2018
- Image Upload Last Date: 1st week of February 2018
- Fee Payment Last Date: 1st week of February 2018
- Confirmation Page Printout Available: Last week of February 2018
- Correction Window open: 3rd week of February 2018
- Admit Card Issued: 4th week of March 2018
- Date of Exam: 3rd week of April 2018
- Result Declaration: 2nd week of June 2018
N.B.: The given Schedule for NATA 2018 is only tentative and are subject to change, the final dates for the same will be soon updated after official notification.
NATA 2018 Score
The Council of Architecture Admission Guidelines states that the candidates must atleast score 40% in NATA if they wish to get admission in BArch courses.
The drawing test scoring procedure: The 3 examiners reviews the answers of drawing test and the average of marks that is given to the candidate by all the 3 of the exminer will be finally considered. The candidate’s ability on color sense and composition, perspective, sense of proportion, observation, imagination and drawing will be evaluated by the examiner.The Aesthetic sensitivity test scoring procedure:
This test is adaptive test and as per the candidate’s ability level, the difficulty level of the questions will be changed. Suppose the candidate has given one right answer then the next question will be more difficult than the previous one, whereas if he/she gives a wrong answer than the next one will be easier.
The final score of the candidate depends upon the average difficulty level that the candidate has answered of all the questions and all the given right answers. For example- a candidate will score more if he attempts less right answers with higher difficulty questions, and a candidate may score less if the candidate has attempted more right answers with less difficult questions.
NATA 2018 Syllabus
The NATA Syllabus comprises of two sections and that includes:
The Drawing Test
In the drawing test the applicants are required to attempt 3 questions and they are finally selected on the following aspects-
- Drawing on your own using pencil sketch from your day to day life experiences.
- Understanding of scale and proportions.
- Creating visual effects with colors in given composition.
- Creating two dimensional structures using the given forms and shapes.
- Composing and combining the three dimensional elements that are given to finally form a structural form or a building.
- Good sense about perspective drawing.
- Visualizing and drawing the effects of light on the object and shadows cast on surroundings.
- Sketching ability of a particular object proportionately and also should be visually appealing.
Aesthetic Sensitivity Test
Aesthetic Sensitivity Test is the other part of NATA that is computer based with one hour of duration. Here the candidates need to answer 40 questions that has multiple choice. The aesthetic sensitivity test measures communication, creativity, observation, imagination and perception along with knowledge about architecture. The test comprises of–
- Candidate’s knowledge about architecture.
- Imaginative expression and comprehension.
- Candidate’s mental ability.
- Candidate’s analytical reasoning.
- Identifying the objects and materials that are commonly used based on their textural qualities.
- Visualizing the various sides of the objects of three dimensions.
- Three dimensional objects visualizing from the drawings of two dimensions.
Contact DetailsFor more information about NATA 2016, use the given contact details:
NATA COA (Council of Architecture)
(A Statutory Autonomous Body of Government of India under the Architects Act, 1972)
India Habitat Centre, Core 6-A, 1st Floor, Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003